Higher Education Institutions
Around 12,000 students choose the former Barbarossa city to study in every year. Ever since the establishment of the scientifically- and technically-oriented TU Kaiserslautern in 1970, Kaiserslautern has become an important university town within Rhineland-Palatinate, with a focus on research. In addition to the Technische Universität (TU), the origins of the Kaiserslautern University of Applied Sciences (FH KL) date back to 1833, when a district vocational school with a department specializing in industrial technology, construction, chemical engineering and agriculture was established.
© Hochschule Kaiserslautern
The University of Applied Sciences in Kaiserslautern is a modern college of applied sciences and design. More than 5700 students from more than 80 nations and around 150 professors learn, teach and carry out research in five faculties at the campuses in Kaiserslautern, Pirmasens and Zweibrücken. Founded in 1996 as a spin-off from a department of the former Rhineland Palatinate University of Applied Sciences, the University, whose roots go back to the mid-19th century, used its independence to dedicate itself to its core tasks of degree-level teaching, advanced academic training and applied research and development with the associated transfer of technology, and to continue expanding its competitive position.
© Stadt Kaiserslautern
Kaiserslautern's technical university, founded in 1970, is the only scientific-technical university in Rhineland-Palatinate. TU Kaiserslautern's campus currently accommodates approximately 10,100 students.